7 Signs of an Amateur Mix
Before we can talk about how to make a great mix, it's good to be aware of the signs of one that isn't so great. Does your mix have any of these characteristics?
1. The Mix has no Contrast
That means that the song has the same musical or sonic texture throughout the entire song, or the mix is at the same level and intensity throughout the song.
2. The Mix has a Wandering Focal Point
There are holes between lyrics where nothing is brought forward in the mix to hold the listener's attention.
3. The Mix is Noisy
Clicks, hums, extraneous noises, count-offs, and sometimes lip smacks and breaths can be clearly heard.
4. The Mix Lacks Clarity and Punch
The instruments aren't distinct, or the low end is either too weak or too big.
5. The Mix Sounds Distant and Devoid of any Feeling of Intimacy
The mix sounds distant because of too much reverb or overuse of other effects.
6. The Mix has Inconsistent Levels
Instrument levels vary from balanced to quiet or too loud, or certain lyrics or instrument lines can't be distinguished.
7. The Mix has Dull and Uninteresting SoundsGeneric, dated, or often-heard sounds are being used. There's a difference between using something because it's hip and new and using it because everyone else is using it.